Tuesday, October 9, 2012

DIY: Boho boot

Hey all!
Here's my take on the belted boho boot. I went out Saturday and found some vintage boots at the thrift, I originally wanted a pair of brown boots but saw these little red beauties and thought they would work perfectly. You can most definitely do this project on a newer pair of boots, but my own personal style leans toward the vintage distressed type. I found these boots, a couple of belts, lace and some fabric all out thrifting on Saturday! I ran home and started my project ASAP, it took me the whole day, but I was able to wear them out to the pumpkin patch on Sunday. I was excited to receive many compliments! If you would like to set yourself up with a pair, I posted a tutorial down below.
Happy creating my friends :)
 
WHAT YOU NEED:
BOOTS: Boots should be leather inner and outer
BELTS: vintage, new, big buckles or not... whatever you wish!
GLUE: any type of strong fabric glue make sure it dries clear and adheres to leather
SCISSORS
PLASTIC KNIFE: or any type of of flat tool for gluing
CLOTH & LACE: here's where you can get creative. I used some lace like material to place along the base of the boot, but you can use whatever your personal style prefers scarves, lace, fabric etc. And we'll using fabric to make strips for layering
First, take your boot and cut down the middle of the back
Stop right above the back of the heel
Be careful not to cut too low, you don't want to cut past where the scissors point



Fold down the shaft flaps




Start wrapping your belts
You may need to play around with them for a while to get them perfect
Switch them around, turn the buckles, pull them tighter, make new holes
Anything to get them to work together, think of it like a puzzle 





Once your belts are positioned the way you want
start gluing
Place small amounts of glue on the knife
Separate the belt and boot and spread the glue onto both parts
Trying not to get it towards the bottom of the belt (we'll need that area for gluing the lace)
Do this in small sections until all belts are glued to the boot
 
Next grab your lace
Lace will fill in the spots where the belts don't cover the boot leather
Start measuring out how much lace you'll need
Beginning at a buckle, take a clean plastic butter knife (or any disposable flat tool)
and push the lace under the bottom of the belt, do this until the lace wraps around and meets the end you started with
Cut lace, make sure you leave a bit of slack to overlap at the end
 
Next glue the bottom of the belt down but this time be extra cautious of the lace
Even if you have clear drying glue you will want to try your hardest to not get it on the lace
It may work easier if you use a glue gun with fabric sticks on this part
 


Now we'll be adding more textures and layers
Cut a strip of fabric
Depending on how wide around your boot ends up being and what type of material your fabric is
Your strip may be from up to 8 inches or longer
Tie both ends of the strip together to make a circle, stretch your fabric a bit and put around boot (shown above)



You're done!!
Since my boots were red and I'm a fan, I added a Razorback to my boot
I couldn't find anything at our local store that would work
So I ended up grabbing duct tape with a razorback on it, ha ha! As cheesy as it looked, it worked for a day.
Thanks so much for reading and I hope your boots end up fabulous! If you have any questions please comment below. Also, if you end making a pair for yourself, comment with your link so I can see your awesome boho boots :)
Don't forget to follow

29 comments:

  1. This is such a clever way to dress up a pair of boots and give them a unique touch! I might just have to try this myself. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Jen. What I love about this is that your personality shows through your shoes :) I'd love to see them if you do! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Woa that is SO creative and SO cool! I love them! I'm gonna have to try it out, but I'm not sure if I call pull it off ;/ Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely creative. Awesome job this might be something I'll have to venture out and try

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what, I saw this one on youtube a long time ago and I was about to make one for myself. For some reason I didn't and just ended up with a pair of cut up boots. Oh dear! Yours turned out amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I saw the video on Pinterest and dug a little deeper and found many others that did thier DIY, so I thought "hey, I should try that!". You should finish yours, I would love to see your take on them :)

      Delete
  5. What a great job you did on your boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those are awesome! I want a pair :) Good job!!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fashionable! Thanks for sharing! You are so talented :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those are amazing! I definitely have to keep this DIY in mind when I'm feeling crafty.

    Found you through Better Blogger Network, by the way!

    The Fashionable Gamer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin! For both stopping by and commenting :) I'm meeting so many wonderful blogger friends through there. Will be popping over to check your site out!

      Delete
  9. oh my gosh!!! how original! you have creative talent!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    have fun wearing your new boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but I have to that Pinterest for the inspiration :) will be returning the favor!

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with frickin' awesome!!! Love this.

    Stopping by to share aloha and to follow along forever and ever. Loved your little bio too.

    Aloha,
    Nicole
    localsugarhawaii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the sweet comment and stopping in, Miss Nicole :)

      Delete
  11. Hola Krystal! What a creative way to make your own boots with a twist! I love it! New follower #9 stopping by via the Inspire Me Link-up! Hope you come by and take a peek at mine! Tootles!

    ~SimplyyMayra of
    PonderWonders at www.simplyymayra.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just got back from your blog, love your work!

      Delete
  12. Hey Krystal, I am digging the boots. My daughter is in love with them, so, I will be at the thrift stores this week - hee hee. I am now your newest follower and look forward to seeing you around. Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda!
      I can't wait to see her take on the boots. Thanks for stopping in and sticking around :)

      Delete
  13. these are so original i love them :D thanks for linking up with the aloha friday blog hop, have a great week and hope you'll join us again next friday :

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw these on Mr. Kate's blog the other day, they are so cute. I'll have to do some up in pink for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may just I
    get that kind of info written in such a perfect method? I've a mission that I am simply now running on, and I've been on the look out for such info.



    Look into my blog; garbage disposal maintenance
    my webpage: garbage disposal maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  16. Generally I do not read post on blogs, but
    I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and
    do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great article.



    Visit my site; stress relief toys

    ReplyDelete
  17. This website truly has all of the info I wanted concerning
    this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Here is my webpage :: swiss ball

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am extremely inspired with your writing abilities as
    neatly as with the structure for your blog. Is that this a paid theme or did you
    customize it your self? Anyway stay up the nice quality
    writing, it's uncommon to look a nice weblog like this one these days..

    My web page: mazda rx7 fc for sale

    ReplyDelete