Thursday, November 15, 2012

From belt to headband tutorial...Respectfully

I gave this DIY a serious amount of thought before posting, especially after the Victoria's Secret controversy. Let me just say that we have nothing but respect for other races, cultures and people in general, our intentions are pure and not meant to offend anyone. This is an update to the old kindergarten Thanksgiving craft and solely in good fun. With that said, let's begin :)
 
She was watching birds fly away :)


*WHAT YOU NEED*
Extra embellishments (I used an old high school earring)
Strong craft glue (must work will leather)
Woven leather belt (goodwill $2.00)
Rubber bands (not shown)
Tape measure
Feathers
Scissors
Elastic
Fabric


Cut the seams to the buckle

Measure the circumference of child's head, across forehead
Unravel belt
Using the traditional braid, braid 3 strips of leather together


Braid your headband 1 inch longer than the measured length of child's head
Use rubber band to secure end

Glue end strips together
 Do not cut extra loose strips yet, unless you are highly confident this will turn out 100% like you want. But I always stick with "Better to be safe than sorry" ;)
Cut headband from belt and secure with rubber band
Glue strips together

Glue elastic to the end that was just cut
Let dry

After glue has dried
Take your measuring tape and measure the band (with elastic stretched out) to what your child's head length measurement.
EX: if your child's head measured 18 inches, measure your headband with the elastic stretched to 18 inches and place glue

Glue elastic and end together, let dry
After dry
Place feathers, starting with the center of the headband
(if you're using feathers from the yard it's always a good idea to wash and sterilize)
 

Once you have the placement of feathers
Measure and cut a strip of fabric

Place glue to the back side of each feather on headband
Add fabric
(fabric is to prevent any poking from feathers)


Glue any embellishment you have to headband
Cut any ends of feathers sticking out
Voila!
Happy Thanksgiving!
 

What Jean Likes Aloha Friday Blog HopOhsoamelia

21 comments:

  1. Mommy Krystal, she looks adorable. I love the DIY so much. :)You know just how to capture the perfect shot as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute. and she's too adorable! found and following via the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This had to be so much fun!! You have such a beautiful family! And I can't wait to start our BlogFriend Journey (cheesy I know) But I'm ecstatic!!
    Thank you so much for linking up this Friday!
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    -jesika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure!
      Glad to have found your blog.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant tutorial, I'm new to your blog from Friday chaos. I like the look of your blog and I'm really looking forward to your posts. I have a blog if you have time I'd love for you too pop on over and have a look :-)

    http://chandodaddy.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming in and checking us out, glad you could stick around!

      Delete
  5. This is amazing!!

    Hey girl, just wanted to stop by and say thanks for following and linking up with Friendly Friday! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    xo, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this!!!! I really want to make one for my niece :)

    Thanks for stopping by the hop....can't wait to read more!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you were able to make one for her, I'm sure she would enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. Greetings! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you
    knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my
    comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems
    finding one? Thanks a lot!

    Feel free to surf to my web site: free internet marketing tools

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not know if it's just me or if everybody else experiencing issues with your website. It seems like some of the written text on your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them as well? This could be a issue with my web browser because I've had this happen previously.
    Kudos

    My homepage; arabisch kurs münchen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! This is kind of off topic but I need some
    help from an established blog. Is it hard to set up your
    own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty fast. I'm
    thinking about making my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks

    Look into my web page; sonnencreme gefährlich

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tremendous things here. I am very happy to see your post.
    Thanks so much and I'm looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a mail?

    Here is my web page; steinzeiternährung

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved as much as you'll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

    Also visit my web page: lowcarb produkte

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using
    for this website? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers
    and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Here is my web blog - schwule skinheads

    ReplyDelete
  13. When someone writes an post he/she retains the image of a user in his/her
    brain that how a user can know it. So that's why this post is outstdanding. Thanks!

    my page lenkmatten mit lenkstange
    Also see my site :: flugmatte

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to be suggested this web site via my cousin.
    I am no longer sure whether this publish is written by means of him as no
    one else understand such specific approximately my problem.

    You're amazing! Thank you!

    My blog post: opel corsa autoradio einbauen

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you are going for finest contents like myself, simply go to see
    this site every day since it gives quality contents, thanks

    my site: einsteiger lenkmatte

    ReplyDelete